Is a Chimney Cap Necessary?
In the United Kingdom properties have a chimney as part of the building structure. The chimney plays an important part in helping to maintain a property. The importance of keeping a chimney clean and free from all sorts of obstruction is vital for the property. The use of a chimney cap cannot be overlooked and it plays an important part in maintaining the chimney. The chimney cap is fitted on top of a chimney. The aim of a chimney cap is to provide protection to the chimney.
The importance of a chimney cap is due to the weather in the United Kingdom. As it rains a lot and the climate plays a part in deciding what type of roofing and chimney is to be placed on top of a property. It is a good idea to take preventive measures to help maintain the property and chimney
The idea of not putting a cap on the chimney would mean there is a chance of risk. The risk is in the sense as it leaves the chimney exposed to various uncontrollable variables. This might not be a good idea as it would mean there is an entrance to the property via the chimney by not having a chimney cap. This might prove to be a risk to the property. The only real requirement is the effort needed to do some research to find the best chimney cap for your property. However, the need to maintain the property and the cost needed to protect the property needs to be considered. It is a good idea to bear in mind the benefits of having a chimney cap. Also, it needs to be taken into consideration there are always costs associated with the upkeep of the property. However not all properties use a chimney cap and it is a good idea to do some research and to see what are the best measures for your property.
There are different types and sizes of chimneys and it is a good idea to get an idea as to what type of cap is best suited for your requirements and to select the chimney cap accordingly. It’s a good idea to use the internet and Google to carry out your research to select the best option for your chimney.
The advantageous of having a chimney cap
There are various functions which a chimney cap performs are some of them are listed below:
- The damages caused by rain should never be underestimated. The chimney can be affected by the rain and the water entering inside the chimney can have an adverse impact on the building and the chimney. Furthermore, the rain by entering the chimney can contribute to the damping and rusting of the building. This could result in costly property repairs. For instance, the issue of rain not only affects the internal parts of a building but it can also have an impact on the chimney lining and cause structural damages. The chimney cap is a good way to protect the chimney and from stopping the rain getting inside the property.
- The issue of having a chimney without a cap might encourage birds and animals to enter the chimney. Since a chimney can be used by birds and other animals like squirrels, bats, woodpecker etc to make a home within the chimney. This would not be a good idea as it could cause a hindrance for the smoke to leave the building and place a lot of pressure on the chimney. The issue of rain is not the only reason for having a chimney cap but to stop birds and animals from entering into the chimney.
- Also, it is possible for the chimney caps to play a part in limiting the amount of draft and creosote from being built up within the chimney.
- Furthermore, animals droppings and the mess caused by them could amount to costs of having to regularly clean the chimney. The chimney caps help to keep the pipes clean and to maintain the property.
- The other benefits of capping a chimney are it will decrease the chances of rain going into the pipes and stop the loss of head as it is possible from an open flue.
The chimneys caps are not overrated and they perform an important function in helping to maintain the property and to keep it clean.
Time to get expert advice
It is worth getting expert advice to decide the best course of action to take. It would be a good idea to check the most cost-effective solutions for your chimney and if placing a cap on the chimney is a viable and affordable remedy to the problem outlined as above.
It is worth talking to an expert as DIY might not be the best solution. It might seem appealing to try to fix the problem yourself as it would help to keep the costs down but in the long run, it might not be the best thing to do. Since placing a cap on a chimney is not an easy thing to do and climbing on top of the roof can be risky and dangerous.
However, there is the cost to consider buying a chimney cap and the paying for an installer to fit the cap. It is a good idea to get several quotes and to decide as to which fitter is best to use to fit the chimney cap.
Call Jordan Brothers Expert Chimney sweepers on 020 8360 1515, mobile no: 07855 931 070
or email on email@example.com